Sunday, November 17, 2013

Ravenwing Apothecary

All my command squad specific black knights are officially done! Yay!

I tell you what, I never want to paint up an entire dude in white like this ever again, ever. Getting it smooth was extremely time consuming and one of the most challenging things I've done as an artist so far.

First issue is I primed him black. That's not a BAD thing to do for the model because the majority of the bike is black, and I've primed all the other bikers black so golds, reds, and whatever other color will go along better with his other squadies when its all said and done. However it means doing large areas of white were going to suck. I had to layer upon layer of my white grey (Celestra Grey in the citadel line) just to make the white base smooth. Then came the black wash, which is pretty standard.

Then came layer upon layer of thinned out off-white Ulthuan Grey. Its the majority of what you see and most people associate it as simply "white" but the reason I do not is because pure white is a totally different thing. I had to use the pure white to edge to make his detail pop.

It was extremely time consuming. But ultimately worth it as the eend result speaks for itself.

Lastly, we've got his tubes of liquids. Making them seem like glass was a challenge. I'd done a few glass like tubes before and they were alright but I wanted a more complete effect. I had to repaint all of the ttubes solid black, as paint from edging the whites and reds close by had spilled. Then I simply watered down the color I wanted in the tubes and built up to lighter shades as normal. I left anywhere between 10 to 75% of the tubes black still, to give the illusion not all his tubes were full. Then, leaving a thin black line in between, I used my two brightest blues, same color I do for painting energy on weapons. (Teclis and Lothern by name).

Then, using Lothern blue, I made as small a streak down the tubes as possible, from the glassy looking blues directly into the colored part. Follows that up with an even thinner streak of white, and Viola, glass with streams of light down the sides. On the larger tubes on his backpack, I made two such streaks per tube trying to make one shorter than the other. My friend Roger who is easily the best painter alongside myself at our local hobby center loved it more than any other part of the model so I must have done something right.
Enjoy! Til next time, me amigos. Expect lots of non-space marines and just random minis in the coming weeks. I don't have much to give but my time and talents for my friends this year so I am doing a miniature apiece for all of them, starting with that sniper from last post. I have made a lot of friends this year so I knew I needed to start soon! Thanks for the support, everyone.

It reads "Vitae Mortis" which is latin for "Life" and "Death" respectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment