Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Banner for the Banner God

Occasionally I do things that make me sit back and wonder when I developed the skills to do certain things. That's the fun of continually pushing yourself and trying new things every.chance you get. Practice makes perfect, as the saying goes.

If you told me last year, I'd be good enough to paint in par with the 'Eavy Metal team over at GW, I'd have said you were crazy. But I really feel like my guys are at least the quality you see on the boxes and you really can't ask for much more without better tools (like, say, an airbrush) and more time and money than I can currently devote to the hobby.

This particular mini, I did for my friend Erik. The Khorne icon on the banner is freehand. Layering up browns into yellows to create the illusion of gold is challenging, and rewarding. First, paint the entire outline, inside and out, with your darkest brown. I use Rhinox Hide. Next, skip over to a light dustier brown (I used Baneblade Brown for this) leaving just enough of the really dark parts where you want the object to have shadows. Freehanding is actual art, unlike most skills actually utilized in painting miniatures. Those shadows you have to create yourself. No wash to bail you out now.

Next, use a brown that has some orange to it. I utilized Tau Light Ochre for this, and now you have to really pay attention to what you want to be pure shadow or not. At this point, you can jump into the yellow shades and apply upward like normal (Averland Sunset -> Yriel Yellow -> Flash Gitz Yellow), with a final highlight of white along the edges you want to look like they are glinting, as well as in corners and behind edges that are super dark to create a backlit effect. The first time I tried doing this technique, I didn't realize how important that white behind the darker parts was in creating a full metallic effect. If you ever try this out yourself, just give it a shot and hopefully you'll see for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment