Saturday, October 26, 2013

Step one of Space Marine painting competition

So my local hobby shop is having a painting competition. I wanted to challenge myself to do something I've never done and that seemed really hard on paper.

So, I wanted to toy with shadows and source lighting. The key to shadows is all in how you think your model is lit. If you want a dim situation, the odd thing is bright colors opposite your base coat end up making the model seem like its underground or in moonlight. Easiest colors to do this kind of complimentary shading with is blue and orange.

The first thing I did with my marine for entry was base it totally black then got out my white primer to lightly spritz the direction I wanted light from the eventually lava themed base to emanate from. When I based my model, anything black was coated with a thin blue (Macraggae Blue), anything white was coated with a forestry green, the kind you get from blending blue and orange together. Lastly, I used the orange I had mixed with the blue for that green shade (Jokaero Orange) inside of where the blend was, attempting a semblance of a blend.

Afterwards, I applied a blue wash over the whole model to tone the orange part down, then went back over the entire model again once that wash dried to achieve the orange shading that my lightsource would bring out. Both washes really helped the BLUE->GREEN->ORANGE blend, as well.

That's currently where I'm at with the model. More to come as I get further!

No comments:

Post a Comment